How does one live there life in the big city to the fullest when the sun starts setting at 4:40pm? With this blog post I will tell you how.
Carpe diem! Seize the day! Wake up early and plan ahead for the things that you really want to do with your time here in New York. Make a schedule with your top goals for the day and try to stick to it, everything unplanned that happens in between can just be an exciting mystery.
Here’s a few ways to make the most of your daylight / how to safely enjoy your nights with friends, family, or even by yourself.
During the Daylight:
- Explore All Of The Parks – Taking a walk, or bike ride (see my past blog post “Explore Central Park On Wheels”), through any of the parks in New York is a nice way to relax, see some amazing sites, and get some fresh air.
- Take A Ferry Ride – The Staten Island Ferry is free and has an amazing view of the NYC skyline
- Walk The Highline
- Explore the World Trade Center Area – This is one of my favorite areas to explore, because of how beautiful the area is and how close you are to the surrounding water.
Once It’s Dark:
- Museums – Check the hours that different museums are open. Though some big museums close at night, some smaller ones might still be open and ready for you to explore.
- Broadway / Theater
- Shops – Window shopping, especially during the holidays, can be a fun and festive way to spend your time with friends, family, or by yourself.
- Times Square – You can come here any time of day, but nothing is cooler than walking through here at night and it looking like it is still daylight out.
- Bryant Park – I walk past Bryant Park everyday after work in the dark and it never fails to make me smile. It is a perfect little Christmas village filled with shops, food, festivities, and an ice rink. You can obviously go here during the daylight, but I actually recommend going at night to see all of the Christmas lights and decorations in full effect.
- Movies – Rainy day got you stuck inside? Go see a movie. Trust me, I have done it a few times already when it has been too wet out for me to want to leave my housing and go far away and it has been relaxing and entertaining.
- Art Galleries
- Rockefeller Center – Like Bryant Park, during the holidays Rockefeller Center is beautifully decorated and has many areas to safely explore in the dark.
Obviously, there are hundreds of things that you can do that I have not mentioned, but these are just a few of the things that I have done in my time here that have helped me make the most of my days.
Written By: Madison Buechler
Photos By: Madison Buechler